Fun facts about olive wood
The olive tree represents the symbol for the Mediterranean population, there is a real love story between this tree and the Mediterranean man, it is a very generous tree because it feeds the man and shines him by its famous oil.
It warms it by its wood used even in the shooting, the sculpture and the industry In Tunisia there is approximately 65 m Olivier's wooden trees planted in vast grounds under forms of lines parallel and equidistant and this invented model the learned Carthaginian more than one thousand years BC
The inhabitants in Tunisia use kitchen utensils made wooden of olive tree as flatware, salad bowls, mortars length but the use remains very limited because these products are considered as products craft and classic art but during last years and seen in the enormous increase of the diseases in the world the diseases of the heart, the stomach and especially the cancer when one of these main things causes and uses of the materials factories by plastics and metals as copper.
- Olivewood is a hard and non-porous wood that is ideal for products such as chopping boards and kitchen items. It will not absorb flavours, odours or bacteria and it does not stain.
- Few woods are able to offer such a vivid grain with such unique character.
- The darkness of the grain of the wood denotes the wood’s age. The darker the grain,the older the wood.
- The pattern and complexity of the olivewood grain denotes from where on the tree the particular item comes from.
- Large pieces of olivewood are rarely found due to the gnarly way the trees grow and because they split and twist with age.
- Olive trees in Tunisia are considered sacred and very rarely felled.
- The olive branch often held by a dove is a symbol of peace.
- All of our olivewood is crafted locally in our workshop.
- Our wood is seasoned for 3 to 5 years so as to dry it completely.
- Each piece of wood is carefully selected and hand-picked to create the exact end product.
- The best way to care for your olivewood is simply with olive oil.
- Do not put olivewood products in the dishwasher. Wash them by hand and let them dry naturally.
- Wipe over your olivewood with olive oil. This will nourish the wood, bringing out the beauty of the grain, while adding luster to your olivewood.